Thursday, November 5, 2009

to nap or not to nap?

So I've been debating whether or not I should cut out Boston's nap during the day.  You see here is the problem.  My child is just like his dad.  He can run all day long with little or no sleep and not let it affect him at all.  Normally he takes a nap around 1:30 and sleeps for anywhere from an hour and a half to two or two and a half hours.  Then he won't go to bed until anywhere between 9 and 10.  But he is SO hard to get to sleep.  We started a terrible habit of laying with him to go to sleep and now we have to do it every time.  It gets annoying sometimes especially when it takes like an hour to get him to sleep.  On the weekend, we usually don't get a nap in cause dad is around and Boston cherishes every moment he has with his daddy.  So Sunday,with the time change, he hadn't taken a nap so I decided to put him down at 8 and he was out like a light in 5 minutes.  So here's my question...do we keep a nap and struggle to put him to bed at night, or take the nap away and put him to sleep earlier?  What do all you mommies do/suggest?

7 comments:

justinheather said...

Thanks for responding back! Yes I want to come to the mommy club so bad and I would have went today but we are getting ready to go out of town. So for sure I will be coming to the next one. About napping Taylee stopped taking a nap around two and she slept better at night for me. But every little kiddo is different. If he is still getting good sleep at night. Then I would probably say it's ok for him to start skipping naps. Just see what works best for him. :)

Ashley Hansen said...

I love nap time but I also love that Katie goes to sleep so easily at night. I think if I had to chose I would chose to skip the nap and get him to bed earlier. I love the evenings with my hubby. We get to do whatever we want for a couple hours before we have to go to bed ourselves. It is usually spent watching tv but it is so peaceful to not have a baby screaming the whole time. Good luck!

Trina said...

Here's what I do with Evelyn. She takes naps or "quite time" in the toy room on a blanket and she'll stay in there reading to herself the whole time Allison sleeps. Since they share a room, Evelyn doesn't wake Allison up prematurely. If she doesn't' nap, it's fine. I still get my time and she'll still go to bed at a decent hour. But she's always been funny. She'll lay in her bed forever before falling asleep, like usually at least an hour. She's fine doing it and never fights going to bed, maybe she's just weird.
Then again, she's 3 and just now giving up some naps and only naps about half of the time. Fine with me, but I'll keep up with the quite time until she's in school. I think quite, self-entertainment time is great for them.

Shauna Spendlove said...

It's always hard to know what to do... wish they came with instructions! With Ian if he doesn't take a nap I'll put him to bed as early as 7. I relish his nap time though so I make sure he gets a nap! We used to have to lay with Ian too so I totally know what that is like...I finally got sick of it and just put him in his bed and let him cry. Now we leave his door open, but if he is going to throw a fit about going to bed I just tell him I'm going to close the door and that is enough to help him lay down and go to sleep by himself! He also likes listening to fun kids cd's I have while falling aslee. It sounds like with Boston it will be a toss up and you'll have to decide what time you like better..naps or early bedtime! Then you'll finally decide what to do and get a routine, and then he'll change! Happens every time doesn't it? =) Less than two weeks!

Mace, McKenzie and Stein said...

Heidi, I'd love to add you but what's your email?? :)

Amy said...

We do rest time, but no naps, I have my kids in bed by Boen 7 and Bingham 8pm. I need that time for me!!! If you can do it, I'd try its nice!

Dain and Alyse said...

Heidi your kids are adorable! I'm glad you found our blog so I could see yours! It's fun to keep in touch. I miss seeing you! Hope all is well.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed