Sunday, May 18, 2008

A Family of Runners!

This past week we had a couple fun events to attend!

Wednesday and Thursday was the district track meets for the junior high schools.  Dustin runs the mile and half mile and has filled in for one of the relay races (I think that's what it's called) a couple of times.  The first couple of meets he was so far ahead of everybody, there wasn't even a question who would win.  But then the first time they raced against T.H. Bell, all of the sudden there was this kid who was giving him some competition! Dustin still won him though.   But then the kid beat him in the half mile once.  So going into the district meet, it was kind of intense!
Wednesday was the mile and Thursday was the half mile and he did the relay again too.  He did awesome!  The mile he won with a time of 4:53!  That was also his personal best!  Then on Thursday the T.H. Bell kid beat him on the half mile but only by one second!  Darn it!  Then Dustin's team won the relay as well.  It was a way fun season to watch!  Thanks Dust!
Then my other brother Eric had the Ogden marathon to run on Saturday.  Anybody who can do this is just amazing.  My mom, sister and me decided that next year MAYBE we could walk the half mile.  That will be our goal.  I am totally NOT a runner!  But everyone else in my family is.  So Eric did the marathon before his mission and did it with a time of 3:30.  Which is just unbelievable!  The race started at 7:00 in the morning and at about 10:00 he came out of the canyon, so we cheered him on then hurried and jumped in the car and drove to Dinosaur park so we could watch him go through there.  Then after he passed us again, we hurried and drove to the finish line.
That's right!  His time is 3:27:37!  Can you believe that!  he beat his time by 3 minutes!  He didn't ever walk either!  He ran the ENTIRE time!  He said he was just dying and hurting by the end, but he didn't show it very much!  He was smiling and happy each time we saw him.  At the end of the race though, he was just dead!  I don't blame him!  At the finish line they had a line of medical people for anyone who would need them.  Some would come through and just collapse because their legs would cramp up really bad and others were even bleeding.  Eric took 127th place out of 1900 (I think) and 9th place in his age group!  Man I admire all of you who did that marathon!

It was fun being able to go cheer on my brothers to victory!  



5 comments:

Chelsie said...

I thought I saw eric at the finish line! My family did the marathon as a relay. I'm impressed with those people!!

Shambray said...

That is awesome that Eric ran it! My dad did it last year and this year. He beat his time by 10 minutes so he was quite proud. I look up to anyone who runs period. I am with you. I am not much of a runner!

zoannkeck said...

Heidi, I really need you to come spend a couple of days here in Idaho so that I can blog like you. (Even though my husband will NEVER put me on his shoulders) It has been fun to see your blog. Love you
your favorite aunt....ZoAnn

hilary said...

wow! go dustin and eric! they both impress me! and when did your "little" brother dustin get so stinking tall?!! he's like towering over all of you in that picture! geez. our younger siblings aren't supposed to grow up so fast!

Ashley said...

Wow! you have quite a talented family! :) I hung out with Eric last week and he was telling me how bad his legs hurt.. he's a tough kid! there is no way I could run that far!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed