Saturday, August 22, 2009

The best birthday present ever

August 15th was Boston's birthday and this is what he got...
A new brother!  That's right, Boston and his new little brother Carter share the same birthday.

And what a cute big brother Boston is to him.  He just loves and kisses him all day long and it's so cute cause sometimes I will catch him just talking and giggling at him.  I love it!

So what a crazy crazy day that was.  Here we are just right before delivery.  My whole pregnancy I said over and over again that I didn't want this baby to be born on Boston's birthday so that they could have their own special days.  But apparently Carter had plans of his own! 

The story for those that care to read....
 So I woke up around 2 in the morning with contractions that were coming every 10 min.  They were painful, but still somewhat tolerable and they stayed that way every 10 minutes until like 8 in the morning.  We were about to go to the hospital when they started to slow down to about every 30 minutes.  Since I didn't get any sleep that night, Ryan took Boston to the grocery store while I slept.  I continued to have contractions every 30 minutes but the pain got worse and worse.  Then they started coming about every 10 again after I made Boston's birthday cupcakes. Ryan would push on my back to help relieve the pain and it really did.  But Boston would see Ryan and run over and touch my belly or back trying to copy his dad.  He really was trying to help, but it was just bugging me.  So we had my mom come get Boston and as soon as she got to the house, my contractions started coming like every 5 minutes and the pain by now was pretty unbearable.  So we decided to get in the car and go to the hospital.  Ryan was driving like 70 mph the whole way to the hospital cause by now my contractions were just one right after another.  I was dying.  We rushed to the emergency room and they wheeled me upstairs.  When I finally got dressed and in a bed, the nurse checked me to see how dilated I was.  She didn't say anything at first, and then when I asked her, she told me I couldn't freak out if she told me.  I said ok and she told me I was at an 8.  So I freaked out for a second.  She had to talk me through every contraction and asked if I was planning on having an epidural.  I asked her if it was too late and she said not if we do it right now.  So they rushed me to my room and the anesthesiologist was there waiting for me.  He got it in really fast and 15 minutes later I had finally got some pain relief.  Now I could finally start enjoying the whole birthing experience.  then about a half hour later, the Dr. came in and broke my water and about 20 min after that out sweet baby boy was born.  From the time we got to the hospital to the time Carter was born was only two hours.  It just happened all so fast!

The proud new daddy.  Carter Jeffrey Smith was born August 15 at 4:44 in the afternoon weighing 6 lbs 12 oz and 19 1/2 in long.

Holding my little boy for the first time.

My mom and sister were in the delivery room with us when Carter was born.

First family picture.

Smith family

Randall family

My sister recently got a job as a CNA on the OB floor at the hospital.  She wasn't working that day, but she was still able to give Carter his first bath.  She did work one of the nights we were there though.  It was nice because she took Carter to the nursery all night long so I could get some rest and I wasn't stressing because I knew who had him all night long.  It was fun having her as my CNA that night!

Proud Grandma and Grandpa

I love this picture because of how wide-eyed Carter is.

Two days before, Boston came down with croup and got pretty sick.  This was the only time he actually kept the mask on.  It didn't last long.  So we just tried to keep Boston away as much as possible until he wasn't contagious anymore.  Thanks to all who helped watch him.

My friend Shauna told me this was the best thing she got for Ian when she had her baby.  So I got this little baby for Boston and he was so cute with it.  He loved feeding it the bottle.  It was hilarious!

Proud daddy getting ready to go home.  We had the hardest time naming little Carter.  We could not think of a name forever!  We finally named him as we were walking out of the hospital.  But he definitely is a Carter!  It fits him really well.


I absolutely LOVE my boys!  

Two brothers just admiring each other

This was hilarious.  The other day, Boston got into the floss and was trying to floss his teeth acting like a big boy.  Well next thing I know he walks up to Carter and starts trying to floss Carter's teeth.  I tried to explain to him that Carter doesn't have teeth yet, but I don't think he quite understood.  What a good big brother!

I guess when Ryan was a little boy he had a rocking horse that he would ride for hours.  So Boston got this cute rocking horse for his birthday with a basketball hoop to shoot hoops with his dad.

Carter

Boston
Do you think they look alike?

23 comments:

Shauna Spendlove said...

Ok..I think their baby pics look alike, but they still have their own looks too! I love you! I'm so glad everything went well! What a fun birthday for Boston! Fun presents too! I'm glad Boston liked the little baby! =) I have really been missing you guys lately! Just so you know! =) Love you!

Elena Loo said...

I really think they look a lik! Wow! Congrats on a beautiful boy. I'm so glad the delivery went quick for you! I know back labor can be so painful! Way TO GO! Congrats again, you have a beautiful family!

Laurel said...

Congrats! He is so adorable. I bet Boston and Carter will love sharing a birthday especially when they are older. Good luck!

hilary said...

congratulations you guys!! my mom told me that you had him on boston's birthday! i think jaclyn found out from your parents or something. anyway, that is so exciting! i'm glad everything went ok! i think he does look like boston when he was a baby! he is adorable! congrats again!

Jaclyn said...

that is a cool story. congrats! he is soooo cute!

10zfam said...

such a cute little guy- looks just like boston
you look great- i always look worn out and tired after my deliveries

Kat said...

congrats little lady! What good lookin boys you have!

Kari said...

Soooo Crazy!!!! What are the odds he really came on Boston's b-day?!!
And wow he came fast too! That's so nice. Reading your story about got me emotional, since my baby's coming so soon. It's crazy to think about a baby again! But i can't wait.
I bought that same doll for Emett. I knew I got the idea off someone's blog, but couldn't remember who's, must've been Shauna's.
Boston flossing the baby's teeth is hilarious!!! And I can't believe how much they look a like! So so cute!
And so fun your sister got to take care of you and your little guy a little bit!
Congrats! and good luck as a mother of two!

Lindsey said...

O Heidi congratulations! He is so darn adorable. He really is one of the cutest babies I've seen. I am sad, we have been out of town until tonight so I didn't get to call and tell you congrats until now. He really is so precious though. I think him and Bost look really alike. In fact, before I read the words, I thought it was another picture of Carter. Good luck with everything.

Kaylee said...

Yay! I'm so glad to see pictures! I can't wait to see him next week in person! Him and Boston do look a lot alike, I didn't even realize it was a picture of Boston!

Brian and Amber said...

Congrats Heidi!! He is such a handsome little boy! And I can't believe how fast it all happened for you. I'm glad you are both doing well. What a cute little family you have :)

Jackie Greenwood said...

First of all, YEAH!!!! Congratulations! Little Carter is adorable, and how fun that they have the same birthday! Boston is so cute with Carter. That rocking horse is great, I bet he loves it! I think they really look alike in their baby pictures. What a cute family, congratulations!

P.S. (I LOVE the name Carter, great choice!)

And our three boys... said...

Congrats Smith family!! Carter is adorable and I love his name! I'm glad you were finally able to decide on one. :) Chad and his older sister are exactly two years apart too and they have loved sharing birthdays. They are 29 and 27 now and still celebrate together. The only time they haven't was when Chad was gone on his mission and Terra said that they were very sad birthdays for her. I think it's special that they get to share it! Where did you get Boston's basketball hoop? We want to get one for Ben for his birthday in 2 weeks. I've been looking everywhere, but I can only find the really old school looking ones. Hope you all are doing well! Congrats, again. :)

The Jensens said...

Congrats. Your boys are so cute. What an amazing story. I hope all is well with you and your growing family.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! How exciting! My mom told me they have the same birthday. She said she talked to your mom and she was so excited. He is so sweet.

Our family of four said...

CONGRATS!!! I am so excited for you! He is such a cutie! He definately looks like Boston in that picture. I love the name Carter too! I can't wait to see him in person!

Chelsie said...

ah congrats...he is so blasted cute. those baby pictures, oh my heavens, they look exactly alike! i'm glad everything went well, and happy that you guys didn't have a name beforehand either...man we're struggling

Anne said...

Congrats Heidi! He looks SO sweet! His baby picture does look just like Boston's, I guess you know he will be a cutie then:)

And They Lived Happily Ever After said...

Such a brave women to bear all that without pain meds haha. Carter is adorable and what a good big brother Boston is. It makes me even more excited for baby ???? Barber to be here. We love you tons and we are so glad all went well.

Trinity said...

WOW!! I hope my delivery is that fast. They are adorable little boys. What a proud mommy you are. So cute!

Josh and Dana said...

Gal, i don't know how you were able to bare that pain! your story sounds pretty intense. I'm glad everything turned out ok, and your both home healthy and happy!

Cherisse said...

Congrats! They do look a like, my little guys looked a lot a like too. Their personalities have been so different though. You're going to have so much fun with them. Congrats again.

Mace, McKenzie and Stein said...

Congrats! He's beautiful!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed